Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Facebook


What's the deal with Facebook? I feel like the only person between 16-60 who doesn't have an account! And yes, I mean that.

People often take offense or give me a shocked look when I say, "I don't have a Facebook account." I'm not lying or boasting. I just hate that site.

Here's the deal. I'm not pretending to be too cool for it, I just get nothing from it. For a while I was good at managing the number of people on my friends list. I agree it's a fantastic way to keep in touch with people whom you haven't seen or talked to in a while. Old college roommates, kids from elementary school, people you've met abroad, etc. But it's also a silly way for ex-boyfriends to stalk you, employers to watch you, etc.

A couple of years ago when I had a profile I was able to manage the content quite easily. Whether I wanted to block specific people or be invisible to the general public, I felt quite well hidden. Then suddenly the ability to be private on Facebook went away and the site made it impossible for people to have private profiles. I don't consider myself to be too private of a person but I really didn't like that anyone could search for me, find me and send me a message.

I've heard they've made changes to the site yet again and you can go back to being invisible. It's too late though. As soon as I dumped FB I felt like I lost virtual weight. Suddenly people that always felt at arm's length were calling me and emailing me lengthy updates about themselves. It was great! All these years I felt like a 'status update' every few weeks was keeping me in-the-know about my friends but it was actually just keeping us from having real conversations. Good riddance FB!

2 comments:

  1. hola katy, jeje, eso explica por que te desapareciste y no supe mas de ti jajaja
    que es de tu vida?
    cual es tu mail pues para que te escriba?
    te cuento que voy a estar en seattle en septiembre creo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this post after you had sent me an invite to connect on LinkedIn (thanks btw).

    It's funny - Amanda and I have been discussing jumping off of Facebook for sometime and I saw this post today - the same day we choose to delete our Facebook accounts!

    We just deleted them - thought I'd let you know. It's nice to know you're not alone.

    Cheers,

    Roland

    ReplyDelete